My Glittery Birthday Mani with Clarins in 230

1 coat Revlon Street Wear in #12 Starry over 1 coat Clarins in 230 over 1 coat Wet n Wild Coloricon in Give Me a Price Quote over 1 coat Del Sol in Ruby Slipper over 2 coats Deborah Lippmann in Call Me Irresponsible (direct sunlight)
Yesterday I turned 25. Agh! I know it seems ridiculous, but to me there is something about 25 - I feel like I should have my life figured out. So leading up to my birthday has been a series of stressing about and coming to terms with (a continual process) the fact that I don't completely. That said, I had a lovely birthday with friends, family, food, drinking, and happiness. To all you fellow July 2-ers, I hope your day was just as incredible! Worn July 2 - July 3, 2012.

I got this suggestion from the Makeup Alley Nail Board when I asked for birthday mani suggestions. Most people seemed to think I should use Clarins 230, some said bar glitter (which I love), and from there I just winged it. I'm happy with how this came out and hope my non-stressing about how to layer this mani says something for my 25th year. I know how stupid this all sounds, but, oh well!

Direct sunlight
Deborah Lippmann in Call Me Irresponsible is pretty close to the base color of Clarins in 230 - a little bit more red - so I used that as my base. Call Me Irresponsible was released for the Summer 2009 collection. It is one of my favorite purples ever (see also, Nubar in Pasadena Purple and Chanel in #483 Vendetta). I used 2 thin coats and there was still visible nail line.

I topped Call Me Irresponsible with 1 coat of Del Sol in Ruby Slipper over the top 4/5 of my nail. Now, I have five Del Sols, which I got a few years ago and none of them change color anymore (Ruby Slipper is supposed to change from a clear to a red jelly base in the sun). In addition, the base of Ruby Slipper has yellowed. You can see a picture of this near the bottom of the post. I don't know if this is a common occurrence with Del Sol polishes, but I just want to give you a head's up.

Over Ruby Slipper, I added 1 coat of Wet n Wild Coloricon in Give Me a Price Quote over the top 1/2 of my nail. Give Me A Price Quote is pretty dense to use as layering polish in most cases IMO, but it works really nicely here under the thicker and longer bar glitters of my Street Wear.

I applied 1 coat of Clarins in 230 over the whole nail. The shimmer is definitely more apparent in real life than in these pictures - it's never not visible - but it has less of a green shift with this manicure; it's most frequently red/orange/gold.

Finally, I topped this with 1 coat of Revlon Street Wear in #12 Starry over the top 1/3 of my nail. I got  Starry in a very reasonable bulk SW eBay bid, and it is still sometimes available on eBay, but for a bit of a price.

I used 2 coats of Gelous and 1 coat of Seche Vite and it is completely smooth. In some of the pictures, it looks like a bar glitter might be sticking up on my middle finger, but it's just a fiber from my desk I didn't notice until too late. I did get a bit of tip shrinkage with this mani, but these pictures were taken with the shrinkage already present, so you can see it wasn't too bad, my tips just ended up not really wrapped.

Direct sunlight
Direct sunlight
Direct sunlight
Direct sunlight
Direct sunlight 
Direct sunlight
Indoors, indirect artificial light
Indoors, indirect artificial light
Indoors, indirect artificial light
Indoors, indirect artificial light
Indoors, indirect artificial light
Indoors, indirect artificial light
Direct sunlight; using Instagram with Rise filter
Deborah Lippmann in Call Me Irresponsible can be seen on Polish Police, Polish or Perish (Flinty and MeganChair), All Lacquered UpThe PolishAholic, and Scrangie. Additional Del Sol in Ruby Slipper pictures can be found at All Lacquered UpBody & Soul, and Dr. Frankenpolish. Wet n Wild Coloricon in Give Me a Price Quote has been swatched by ScrangieNails and NomsSteph's Closet, and Vampy Varnish. I swatched Clarins in 230 over Illamasqua in Baptiste here. Clarins in 230 over Deborah Lippmann in Call Me Irresponsible was also layered by Adventures of a Mad Scientist.

So, what do you think? Did I do 25 right? I know some people don't like bar glitter - what do you think? What do you like to layer with Clarins in 230? Have a great Independence Day weekend everyone!

Comments

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back