Essie in #756 Smooth Sailing + Comparisons

Direct sunlight
Essie in #756 Smooth Sailing is from the Summer 2011 "Brazilliant" collection. Aside from Holiday 2011, this is really the last collection from Essie that I've been in to, but then Essie is probably my least favorite of what I consider the main brands (OPI, China Glaze, Orly, and Color Club and Misa to a lesser extent). This is largely because of the formula, since I really like the bottles. 

Smooth Sailing has a better formula than I find is normal for Essies, which tend to be thinner and streakier. However, the formula, although easy to apply (I had to do practically no clean up), was still a little too thin to fall into my "perfect formula" category. I just had to be sure to wipe off the brush stem or it would pool down as I worked, making my coats thicker than I wanted. This is two thin coats.

This polish is what I would call a mid-tone cornflower blue, slightly dusty, with small white pearl flake-type shimmer. It also has subtle purple and teal microshimmer. The effect is generally not sparkly - it's more of a creme with shimmer in it than a shimmer polish - but the white shimmer is always visible. 

Sorry, in the sunlight pictures there's a dog hair on my index finger that I didn't notice until now! Worn July 25 - 26, 2012.

Indirect natural light


Indoors, indirect natural light

Indoors, indirect natural light

Direct sunlight
Direct sunlight
Flash, indirect natural light
Flash, indirect natural light
Flash

Left to right: Icing in My Blue Heaven, BB Couture for Men in Impact Driver, Rescue Beauty Lounge in Catherine H., Shades by Barielle in Slate of Affairs, Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Sea and Be Seen, Essie in Smooth Sailing, American Apparel in Mount Royal, Sinful Colors in #1114 Neptune, Sally Hansen HD in #15 DVD
Smooth Sailing is lighter than most of these colors. Only SH CSM in Sea and Be Seen is lighter, a sheer flake-type shimmer polish that flashes a duochrome green from some angles. Icing in My Blue Heaven and American Apparel in Mount Royal are cremes. Both are darker, with My Blue Heaven leaning more green. BB Couture for Men in Impact Driver and Rescue Beauty Lounge in Catherine H. are very similar to each other (with Impact Driver being the darker version) and have the same purple and teal shimmer in a creme base as Smooth Sailing, but they are missing the white pearl shimmer. They are also greyer and more green-based. Shades by Barielle in Slate of Affairs is similar tonally to BBC and RBL, but the shimmer is not flakey, is blue, and is much more subtle. Sinful Colors in #1114 Neptune is the most similar in composition, although it lacks the subtle purple and teal shimmer. It is not dusty and is deeper and less purple-toned. SH HD in #15 DVD is a sheer purple flake-type shimmer polish that flashes blue and, in some lights, teal.

See more swatches of Smooth Sailing from Scrangie, Front Row Beauty, Lextard, All Lacquered Up, Temptalia, Polish or Perish (Kittytokaren and Flinty), The PolishAholicChloe's Nails, Nailstah, Pshiit, and Clumps of Mascara.

So, what do you think of this color? Are you a fan of Essie?

Comments

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back