Pin It

Widgets

Sally Hansen Sugar Coat in #230 Pink Sprinkle over Chanel in #589 Élixir (Two Ways)

Indirect natural light

After I had bought and swatched this one, I knew I wanted to get it worn and over with. I'll be straight and let you know right now, it's not a winner for me. But I wore it, it had a chance, and now I can add it to the purge pile. This is Sally Hansen Sugar Coat in #230 Pink Sprinkle. It's from the Summer 2013 "Sugar Rush" collection, the second release of SH's textured polishes. Their first release included all opaque, flat-style texture polishes, which I'm not a big fan of - I'm more intrigued, of course, by the textures with SPARKLE! So, Pink Sprinkle looked promising. But it's sheer. Definitely not as sheer as #210 Royal Icing from this same collection, but sheer enough that the texture particles show through. The color is pretty; the flakies are pretty; the texture particles look like a skin infection. I made it shiny on the second day and didn't like the effect any better, sorry to say. 

On my swatch stick it took 4 coats to get Pink Sprinkle semi-opaque. I layered it on top of Chanel in #589 Élixir, which is not the exact same color as Pink Sprinkle but close enough for me to see whether it would be a keeper. Pink Sprinkle is a warm fuchsia jelly texture polish with a moderate amount of gold flakies (they're colored more pink/red from the base).

The formula was fine, I used 2 thin coats. Textures do take longer to dry fully - they'll feel dry to the touch, but give them a couple hours before you do any serious business with your hands. 

Worn August 15 - 17, 2013. 

Direct sunlight
Indirect natural light

Indirect natural light
Direct sunlight

Here's Pink Sprinkles with top coat. I used 1 coat of Gelous because I was trying to be lazy, and 2 coats of Seche Vite on top didn't fully smooth out the bumps, so I would recommend 2 coats Gelous before you add any top coat. I liked this version better but not enough to merit re-wearing this polish.

Direct sunlight
Indirect natural light

How these polishes look swatched on their own, for reference:


You don't need close-ups to see the texture particles, but here it is anyway:


Here are a few more swatches of Pink Sprinkle: All Lacquered Up, Oh Three Oh Four, and Steph's Closet.

So, how are you feeling about textured polishes? I thought I would be really into them, but after trying two, I'm not completely sold. Do you like how Pink Sprinkle looks or would you pass?

2 comments:

Rach said...

To quote another blogger friend, this is maybe not my favorite polish on you. :/ But I did enjoy that layering combination! PERFECT. :D

I have Royal Icing, and I'm trying to figure out what would go well with that.

J. said...

Rach - I am GOING to get back to you - you've met your shitty correspondent match! And, I have Royal Icing too, and I haven't found the perfect layering combo either - it's SO sheer. I'm finding that even though I thought I would be down with textures, I'm one of the lame-os who actually prefers them with top coat.

Post a Comment