Chanel in #510 Gitane + Comparisons

Direct sunlight

When I picked up the Fall 2016 "Le Rouge Collection No 1" polishes (swatches and comparisons here), I also picked up the rest of the reds released in the permanent line this spring. I decided to wear the most summery red first. This is #510 Gitane, a bright medium cherry tomato red creme (in comparison to #473 Coromandel, swatches and comparisons here, which I would call a traditional tomato red). I don't find this type of red to be the most flattering on my skin tone - I prefer either a red-orange or a deeper, more blue-based red, but the formula and wear on this were impeccable. I used 2 thin coats because I like a more gel-like finish, but this polish was opaque in one. The formula was just slightly thick for my preference, but it went exactly were I placed it and self-leveled: no ridges, no pooling, no staining! 

By the way, I am just using my usual Seiche Vite top coat with these, not the Chanel Le Gel Coat, since I already get great wear with these polishes, but Sabrina at The Beauty Look Book did mention she found that top coat to increase wear time with poor performing polishes; she also found the new Le Vernis Longwear polish has better lasting power (I haven't found a difference, but I typically get 5-14 days with most polishes).

Gitane translates to "gypsy woman," but Gitanes are also a popular brand of French cigarette. The packaging is blue and white, but I found a vintage poster from 1960 by Hervé Morvan featuring a similar red:


Source: eBay
Worn August 14 - 23, 2016.

Indirect natural light
Direct sunlight

Gitane is bright (which you can see in the first picture above) but not too bright (see the second picture above). I would say it's work-appropriate in all but the most conservative environments.

Indirect natural light

Shade - indoors

Indirect natural light 

Shade - indoors


Here are my comparisons to similar reds. OPI in Red My Fortune Cookie is brighter with more orange. Chanel in #687 Phenix is quite similar but has a little more orange; I don't think you need both (Gitane has a better formula). Chanel in #717 Coquelicot is also quite similar, but a little brighter and more neutral; again, I don't think you need both. Chanel in #473 Coromandel is deeper  and doesn't have that brightness - more tomato to Gitane's cherry tomato - and it also has subtle shimmer. Chanel in #38 Rouge Flamboyant is a couple shades deeper and cooler - a neutral red creme. Chanel in #677 Rouge Rubis is cooler still than Rouge Flamboyant but similar in depth. In the two pictures below, I decreased the brightness and increased contrast to hopefully help you better see the differences.

Filtered to show difference in colors

Filtered to show difference in colors

For the sake of completeness, here are pictures I also had in my Chanel Fall 2016 collection post, comparisons of the current reds in Chanel's line:


My version of #08 Pirate is from the old Le Vernis line; it is a cool red jelly that's a close dupe for OPI in Vodka & Caviar. #508 Shantung is a slightly pink-toned red creme. It's hard to tell from these pictures, but Rouge Puissant is significantly deeper. #500 Rouge Essentiel is the same depth as Shantung but is a slightly brick red creme. #510 Gitane is a bright tomato red creme. #530 Rouge Radical (limited-edition) is a bright orange-red jelly.


And, here are bottle pictures of the most similar polishes from Chanel past and present that I own. The label-forward bottles are the new formula (the old bottles have a sticker label on the front, which distorted the true color a bit for comparison). I'm showing #487 Rouge Fatal#08 Pirate#508 Shantung#528 Rouge Puissant swatches and comparisons here)#500 Rouge Essentiel#510 Gitane#530 Rouge Radical (swatches and comparisons here)#534 Espadrilles (swatches and comparisons here), #455 Lotus Rouge#71 Laque Rouge#475 Dragon#677 Rouge Rubis#38 Rouge Flamboyant#687 Phenix#717 Coquelicot, and #473 Coromandel (swatches and comparisons here).




Sabrina at The Beauty Look Book also has Gitane swatched here. Sara at Color Me Loud has swatches and comparisons here.

Have you picked up Gitane? What are other warm red cremes that you think I need to own?

Comments

  1. This is the best review I have found for nail color! Thank you for the pictures taken in different lighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, would you happen to know how the newer shade Arancio Vibrante compares to Gitane? Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back