L.A. Girl Flare in Sea Grass (JADE) + Comparisons

Flash

So, L.A. Girl Flare has a very confusing labeling system. When sold through Cherry Culture, they keep their "creative" names - in this case, Sea Grass. However, if you purchased L.A. Girl Flare through another retailer, like Urban Outfitters, they are labeled with their "generic" names - in this case, JADE. If, on the other hand, you purchase them through a private label - for example, through Forever 21's Love & Beauty label, they are given completely different names. I bought this in 2009, through UrbanOutfitters.com, which no longer sells L.A. Girl as far as I know. The brand is still sold at the same very cheap price on Cherry Culture, but I can't find Sea Grass (JADE) listed. I am pretty sure that Forever 21 carries this color, but I couldn't tell you which it is: Seafoam AvocadoAvocado (this or Teal seem closest based on product photos, but I can't tell you how accurate they are on that site), Teal (there are two Teals in the L.A. Girl line, as well as some Teal ___ colors - so confusing; this is the lighter version), or Go Go Green all look like possible candidates. In addition to this ridiculousness, there aren't actual labels on the bottles, so you have to keep the huge, ugly price tag sticker on the bottle if you want to have the name on it. Sometimes, you do get what you pay for!

Color name of polish is only printed on price tag - 
not color-accurate
However, the L.A. Girl formula is generally worth the $2.80. I did have problems with this particular polish, but have generally been happy with the line. I haven't used this bottle since I bought it 3 years ago, so it might be age, but I had to add a bit of thinner (I use Beauty Secrets, which I get from Sally Beauty) because the polish applied where I wanted it to, but didn't self-level, leaving ridges. It reminded me of Barry M's creme formula. After thinning, I had no problems; I used 3 thin coats. 2 thicker coats would have provided full coverage as well.

I don't think this formula reacted well with Seche Vite, which I've never experienced (although I know some people have this problem with Zoya and Seche Vite). I did this mani in the afternoon, and it seemed perfectly dry after an hour, so I went about my day - everything was fine. I seriously looked at my nails right before going to sleep and they were still flawless. I woke up the next morning, and the middle finger on my right hand had 2 deep ridges through the top coat. Later in the afternoon, suddenly the ring finger on my right hand smudged up at the tip! At the same time, I found a smaller ridge through the top coat on the middle finger on my right hand (I fixed this with Orly Smudge Fixer and Seche Vite before taking pictures, so it shouldn't be too noticeable). WTH? I promise you that this isn't just a case of me not noticing things until later - the polish and top coat where reacting weirdly up to a day after application - and not in the still-dentable, able-to-scrape-off-your-mani way either. It was bizarre. On the plus side, no staining!

Not color accurate. Shows weird drying issues.

Despite these issues, I am still going to keep this color. First, the ridges weren't noticeable from a normal distance. Second, it is unique in my collection - I thought it would have closer matches! Besides the unique factor (which is not enough for me anymore with my bloated coffers), it is very flattering on me and generally a pretty color. It freaked my camera out, so I had to borrow my mom's when I dropped by. Some of them are from my camera as well. Sea Grass (JADE) is bright in the same vein as China Glaze in Four Leaf Clover - so, bright, but not neon. It is clearly green when compared to other blue-greens, but it still has some blue in it. This was very hard to photograph accurately, so these are slightly color corrected in Photo Studio. Worn August 16 - 19, 2012.

Direct sunlight
Direct sunlight

Direct sunlight
Direct sunlight 
Direct sunlight 
Flash 
Indirect natural light
Indirect natural light
Flash
Direct sunlight

Some of these pictures show the color pretty accurately, but make it seem a bit softer. Imagine them as not at all dusty and deeper. My comparison photo best shows the brightness of Sea Grass (JADE). It's bright, but not WHAM-BAM, in-your-face. It's not dusty at all, which the photos in indirect light sort of make it appear to be.

Left to right: Essie in #682 Greenport, China Glaze in Custom Kicks, Orly in Bailamos, American Apparel in Malibu Green, L.A. Girl Flare in Sea Grass (JADE), Shades by Barielle in Sweet Addiction, China Glaze in Four Leaf Clover, Misa in The Grass is Greener on My Side
Essie in #682 Greenport, a creme; China Glaze in Custom Kicks, a creme with gold shimmer; Orly in Bailamos, a shimmer; and American Apparel in Malibu Green, a creme, are there for color reference to show how green it is to aquas. Shades by Barielle in Sweet Addiction, a creme, is darker and, although this photo doesn't quite capture it, it appears dusty compared to Sea Grass (JADE), even though it isn't when you look at it on its own. China Glaze in Four Leaf Clover, a creme, has a bit less blue and is darker than Sea Grass (JADE), but it has the same brightness-level. Misa in The Grass is Greener on My Side, a neon shimmer, is brighter, less blue, and absolutely glows with shimmer.

The only other semi-accurate swatches I've found (they're the reason I picked up L.A. Girl Flare polishes) is from Steph's Closet.

Have you ever come across this color? What do you think caused my weird formula issues? Does this green appeal to you?

Comments

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back