Layering with Deborah Lippmann in Supermodel, Lynnderella in Ruby Red Ruby, and Hard Candy in Breakup

1 coat Deborah Lippmann in Supermodel over 1 coat Lynnderella in Ruby Red Ruby over 1 coat Supermodel over 1 coat Hard Candy in Breakup over 2 coats Supermodel (indirect sunlight)
Please excuse the use of Lynnderella in this post. This was before everything blew up, once again, and repelled me (hopefully temporarily) from wearing the brand. It's just a downer to even look at them right now. I won't say anything more about it, except that I don't plan on purchasing any more. However, since I did wear this, I figured I would document it.

Despite being soured on Lynnderella, I was very happy with how this mani turned out! It did stain my nails red slightly, so I would recommend doubling up on base coat.

I used Deborah Lippmann in Supermodel as the jelly in my jelly sandwich. Supermodel is a red-orange jelly from the Summer 2010 collection and is still available. Supermodel has great application - no streaks, and it isn't thick like jellies can be, nor is it watery like sheers can be. It only needs 2 coats to build up to bottle color (1 coat isn't streaky, it's just a little more pink), although there is still some visible nail line. 

Over 2 thin coats of Supermodel, I added 1 coat of Hard Candy in Breakup. Breakup was part of the original re-launch collection of Hard Candy polishes in Fall 2009, but it isn't listed on the Hard Candy or Walmart websites anymore, so I don't know if it's discontinued. Breakup is an opalescent large hex glitter in a clear base with very fine silver glitter. It flashes mostly orange-yellow-red, but over cooler or neutral polishes you can coax out some of the blue-purple-green flash. I added Breakup to give depth to Ruby Red Ruby and give the appearance of a glow, since the glitter in Ruby Red Ruby is all one color and it doesn't have a huge amount of sparkle in the bottle. I added 1 more thin coat of Supermodel (if I do this mani again, I won't add this layer - it was unnecessary).

I then added 1 coat of Lynnderella in Ruby Red Ruby. Ruby Red Ruby is from the Fall 2011 "The First Edition" collection, and unfortunately for those interested, I don't think it will be available again once Lynn's stock is sold on eBay. The glitter in Ruby Red Ruby is all red and flashes orange-gold in the sunlight. The shapes include small hex, large hex, extra-large hex, and extra-large square (which is sparse, but can be seen on my middle and ring fingers) glitters. The glitter in this was not hard to apply.

I topped things off with 1 more coat of Supermodel. Then, 2 coats of Gelous and 1 coat of Seche Vite left this mani almost perfectly smooth, and it wasn't too thick. The pictures don't capture it, but Breakup did add some depth, although I think if I took out one of the layers of Supermodel, it would be even more dynamic. Worn June 23 - June 26, 2012.
Direct sunlight 
Direct sunlight
Indirect sunlight
Indirect natural light
Indirect natural light
Indirect natural light
Indirect natural light 
This is a horrible macro that shows the glitter composition. The white circle near the bottom of the picture is from a bubble in the top coat.
1 coat Deborah Lippmann in Supermodel over 1 coat Lynnderella in Ruby Red Ruby over 1 coat Supermodel over 1 coat Hard Candy in Breakup over 2 coats Supermodel (indirect natural light)
It was Pride weekend when I wore this, so I added an accent nail to celebrate. It was fun, but also a huge pain in the ass. I tried to do a taped version first so I could get clean lines, but I kept ripping off the previous color because it wasn't fully dry. After two attempts, I switched to ruffian-style. It was mega thick, and when I peeled it off (I know, some of you are cringing!), two days later, the bottom layers were still not dry! If you're curious, I used the following polishes: Deborah Lippmann in Supermodel (red), Orly in Old School Orange (orange), China Glaze in Lighthouse (yellow), Misa in The Grass is Greener On My Side (green), China Glaze in Blue Sparrow (blue), and Deborah Lippmann in Call Me Irresponsible (purple) for the ruffian, and China Glaze in Luxe and Lush to add some bling. Here it is from my Instagram (Walden filter):

A photo posted by Jennifer Allen (@jennypoo27) on


Swatches of Deborah Lippmann in Supermodel at Burb Beauty, Sparkly Vernis, Karla Sugar, and Polish or Perish. Swatches of Hard Candy in Breakup at Scrangie and Polish or Perish. Swatches of Lynnderella in Ruby Red Ruby at The Swatchaholic, The PolishAholic, More Nail Polish, Spaz & Squee, Polish or Perish (1, 2), and Steffels.

Want to see some more available ruby red polishes? Check out my post here.

So, do you like this combo? Have you ever tried a jelly sandwich?

Comments

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back